Being a human of the male variety, making a good first impression to the fairer sex is paramount if you want any type of dating relationship. Being a single dad, I got back into the dating world several months back. Now, with that being said, I don’t always have the money for an expensive date but I still need to impress. Based on dates I’ve had, I have made a list of my best date ideas that leave your dignity and your budget intact.
1. Bowling. Bowling is always a great idea for a first date. It’s fun; it’s competitive; it’s cheap; it provides time for conversation. You can even have fun by coming up with a creative and funny name on the score card. During my bowling date, my score card alias was Ben Dover and hers was Dixie Chic.
2. The Park. The park is usually free unless you go to a state or a national park. A park with a playground is preferable so you can show off doing a few pull-ups, as I did, or talk while on the swings, which I also did. Being at the park shows that you can be a kid at heart and she’ll warm up to you.
3. Coffee Shop. Starbucks usually comes to mind when thinking of coffee. While most people enjoy at least one thing off of the Starbucks menu, a local coffee joint will impress her even more. Coffee provides an ideal environment for intimate conversation and two cups of coffee will never break the bank.
4. Live Music. Live music is always fun and, while you might not be able to talk as much, you’ll have an opportunity to show her your wild side. I chose to take my date to a local music hall where a friend of mine was playing drums in his band and the cover was only $5 per person.
5. Paddle Boating. Renting paddle boats are a very inexpensive investment. Most people enjoy being on the water plus, in a paddle boat, you will be right beside your date.
6. Drive-In Movie. Most drive-ins are quite inexpensive plus you get to watch two movies and from the comfort of your own vehicle. The drive-in, in my opinion, is the best set up for a kiss on a first date. It was $6 per car the last time I went on a date to a drive-in and the food was super cheap, $1.50 burgers and $1.25 nachos to name two examples.
7. Comedy Club. A fairly cheap date that provides a lot of laughs and lightens the mood. You and your date can grab a bite to eat and have a laugh after the show. The only time I’ve been on a date to a comedy club was on amateur night which was great because the cover was less expensive. At $7, we laughed at the good comics and even harder at the bad ones.
8. Skating Rink. Skating is loads of fun. There is music and food and it’s cheap especially during the week and not too much more on the weekends. When I took my date out to the skating rink I believe we were the only couple above the age of 15, but it was worth it for $4 per person and a kiss at the end.
9. A Beach Walk. A long walk on the beach has the scenic beauty and the tranquil setting. You and your date can pick up sea shells, get ice cream from a vendor cart, or just walk and talk. I don’t live at the beach but I did work in Myrtle Beach one summer and had an evening walk on the beach for a date night.
10. Go Fishing. Whether you live near the ocean, a lake, or a local pond, fishing is always a great idea. The only thing you’d be paying for is bait and gas, if you go on a boat. I’ve been on two fishing dates, one on a lake and one on a pond. The date on the pond was fun, albeit embarrassing, because my date caught a small-mouth bass and I caught absolutely nothing.
From the examples I have given, it’s safe to say that even without a lot of money, you can still have a decent first date. While these dates might not be for everyone, these are the experiences I’ve had and I hope it will assist those of you in need of ideas. Good luck.