Nothing leaves you more frustrated and irritable than not having a good night sleep. What’s even worse is if you have to go to work the next morning or take care of small children. Pills may do the trick and help you get those much needed Z’s, but what about the side effects? How will they leave you feeling in the morning?
Did you know that your kitchen often contain the solutions to many of your basic issues from a toothache to dry itchy skin to stopping mosquito bites from itching? The foods, herbs, spices, and condiments you have in your cabinets are little wonder drugs that can most certainly provide simple solutions to some little annoyances.
Insomnia does not have to be your reality. Calm your nerves and get the rest that you need naturally. I’ve had my share of not being able to sleep and let me tell you, every last one of the following remedies worked like a charm.
If you are having difficulty sleeping, try a few of the following remedies to see if they work for you. Who knows, you might even have a little fun in the process.
- 1) A shot of apple cider vinegar chased by a teaspoon of honey – This one is not for you if you have a weak stomach. Yet, if you can take it, you’ll be out in about 30-minutes.
- 2) A half of teaspoon of powdered sage and two teaspoonfuls of honey mixed with a 4 oz cup of warm water – This one is not very tasty, but it calms the nerves and has you resting in no time. One important note though, sage helps to dry up breast milk. If you’re nursing, you may not want to try this one).
- 3) Herbal Teas: Kava kava, valerian, sleepy-time, chamomile tea, mint are all great choices. I really liked the valerian tea. That one puts you out like a light.
- 4) Lavender essential oil on your temples, wrists, and ankles – This is my favorite. I do this one and lay back, close my eyes and listen to some smooth jazz.
- 5) Sex/orgasm – The part of this that actually puts most to sleep is the orgasm. Sex can give you a great night sleep. Warning: If the job wasn’t finished properly, this one can make your insomnia worse.
- 6) Nature Sounds – The sounds of the forest, rain, ocean waves, waterfalls, etc. are all amazing and relaxing sounds that help you drift off the sleep.
- 7) A dull or slow book/movie – You will start out reading or watching it, then, before you know it, it will be reading or watching you. Not the most fun of all, but definitely effective.
- 8) A nice warm bath, followed by soothing music – This one is good too. It’s even more effective when combined with remedy number five.
- 9) Body massage – Again, this is another great one. It does the trick alone, but you can throw this one in with remedies 5 and 8.
- 10) Slow, deep breathing – Various breathing techniques can relax you completely. SLOW & DEEP are key characteristics. If you were thinking anything other than breathing then you have a dirty mind and perhaps you should stick with remedies 5, 8, and 9.
Oh, by the way, a clean and organized sleeping area will always help you to relax and get better sleep. Just thought I mention that. SMILE. “Good night, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite. If they do, hit ’em with a shoe, until they turn black and blue!”