Music is a universal language and lyrics in a song can be positive or negative. Here are some of my favorite songs to listen to when I need a boost in my self esteem. These are just for fun, and maybe one of your favorite songs are on the list. If not tell me what’s your favorite and why.
20. Aretha Franklin – A Rose Is Still A Rose: “He can lead you and then take you, make you and then break you. Darlin’ you hold the power.
19. Nancy Wilson – Face It Girl, It’s Over: “Don’t go along for the ride, keep some semblance of pride.”
18. Indie Arie – Video: “And I know my Creator didn’t make no mistakes on me. My feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes, I’m loving what I see.”
17. Des’ree -You Gotta Be: “You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser.”
16. Phyllis Hyman – I Refuse To Be Lonely: “You gotta right to say goodbye, but I got a right to take care of myself, I realize that I come before anyone else.”
15. Faith Evans – Again: “If I had to do it all again, I wouldn’t take away the rain, Cuz I know it made me who I am. If I had to do it all again, I’ve learned so much from my mistakes, that’s how I know he’s watching me.”
14. Whitney Houston – The Greatest Love Of All: “No matter what they take from me, they can’t take away my dignity….the greatest love of all is learning to love yourself.”
13. Mary J. Blige – No More Drama: ” No one’s gonna make me hurt again.”
12. Destiny’s Child – Independent Women: “I work hard and sacrificed to get what I want.”
11. Mariah Carey – Make It Happen: “If you believe in yourself enough and know what you want, you’re gonna make it happen.”
10. Lauryn Hill – Doo Wop: “Don’t be a hard rock when you really are a gem. Baby girl, respect is just a minimum.
9. Phyllis Hyman – The Strength Of A Woman: “The strength of a woman comes from inside her, the light of her soul is too bright to hide her. The strength of a woman so few understand, that it doesn’t depend on the man.”
8. Mary J. Blige – Just Fine: “So I like what I see when I’m looking at me, when I’m walking past the mirror, ain’t worried about you and what you gonna do, I’m a lady so I must stay classy.”
7. Kelly Clarkson – Stronger: “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller.”
6. Janet Jackson – Control: “Got my own mind, gonna make my own decisions. When it comes to do with my life, I wanna be the one in control.”
5. Christina Aguilera – Beautiful: “I am beautiful, no matter what they say words can’t bring me down.”
4. Chaka Khan – I’m Every Woman: “I’m every woman it’s all in me, everything you want done baby, I do it naturally.
3. Gloria Gaynor – I will survive: “You think I’d crumble, you think I lay down and die. Oh no not I, I will surivie.”
2. Josh Stone- Bruise But Not Broken: “And I’ll be alright, and I’ll love again and the wounds will mend. I’m bruised but not broken.”
1. Beyonce- Me, Myself and I: “Cuz I realized I got me, myself and I. That’s all I got in the end. And it ain’t no need to cry. I take a vow that from now on, I’m gonna be my own best friend.”