Do you want to tap into to your own creativity to start a new business? Or just for personal enjoyment and growth? Here are five quick ways to get you started.
- · Learn something new. I didn’t know how to use the site Pinterest or even what is was all about. When I realized that you could create project boards that inspired you, I was hooked. I’ve always wanted a 1969 restored Airstream so I started pinning them into a project board. I wanted to learn to upcycle furniture and home décor so that became another project board. I have an intense love of travel so that was my third project board. Take a class at college or on Coursera. Coursera offers completely free college courses many of which are from Ivy League Universities. Attend a lecture or a class on something that interests you.
- · Go back to kindergarten and take a tip from a child. Children are uninhibited and they know how to have fun. Children think outside the box and will say anything. Learn to have fun again and be inspired. Try to never lose your ability to harness your imagination.
- · Daydream-Never stop daydreaming. Maybe it is that Mediterranean cruise that you want to take with your husband one day. A modern beach house that you have already built in your mind or just what you would do if you won the lottery today. In fact this last one leads to more creativity. Create a bucket list of what you would actually do immediately if you won the lottery.
- · Get crafty-Paint, Write, Travel or just do something that inspires you. All writers ‘both professional and amateur experience writers’ blocks. To get past this I force myself just to write for 10-15 minutes in what I term a brainstorming session. Even if what you write isn’t cohesive or ready to be published. What this does is it lets your mind form new ideas that are a pursuit of your own passions and you can expound upon the ideas through research and personal experiences.
- · Practice positive affirmations. Write down or tell yourself in a mirror how and why you are creative. Say something positive about your self everyday.
There are so many reasons that people don’t tap into the full potential of their right brain. Several of these reasons are time, stress, a job, no outlet to relax, money, family, children and lastly, not believing in yourself and your talents. Get out there today and try at least one of the above to unleash your creativity.