Maraca crafts are very popular for children for celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Making and using maracas to celebrate Cinco de Mayo offers fun and learning in many ways. Kids are learning a new word, a fun aspect about another culture, using their creativity to decorate the maracas and of course enjoying music and movement in the end. You can even include a math lesson as kids count beans to fill their homemade maracas.
There’s just one challenge that I hear about from teachers who want to create homemade maracas with a large group. Often teachers have an idea about a recycled material they can use but feel challenged to find enough of the items in time for Cinco de Mayo. After many years of creating Cinco de Mayo crafts, I have gleaned a long list of possibilities. Remember, that every child needn’t use the same thing. This way everyone’s maracas will be truly unique and kids will get a bonus lesson in seeing how many different things can be repurposed for one craft idea.
Before we look at containers for our maracas, let’s talk about how to decorate them.
If you have more than one day to do complete your crafts, painting them in the traditional bold colors of like red, green, yellow and black is lots of fun.
Another very successful way to decorate maracas is with colored tape, like electrical tape that comes in many bright colors with a shiny texture.
Covering containers with scraps of paper collage style with a layer of decoupage makes for a nice presentation too.
Don’t forget that you can always add stickers or ribbons to decorate your homemade maracas.
Here’s my top seven list of recyclable materials for making homemade Cinco de Mayo maracas.
1. Cylinder shaped saltboxes measure up perfectly for DIY maracas.
2. Honey bears can make sweet homemade maracas.
3. Sanitized vitamin supplement bottled can boost the Cinco de Mayo fun.
4. Spice boxes can add lots of flavor to your May 5th celebrations.
5. Slim Fast drink bottles, or the like, now come in a really hand friendly shape for making maracas.
Check out these other 5 Fun Crafts Made from Slim Fast Bottles.
6. Plastic jars like the ones peanut butter or mayonnaise come in can really spread the maraca making joy.
7. Many dish detergent bottles are made to be hand friendly and really clean up well for Cinco de Mayo crafts.
Teacher tip: Once the containers are decorated and filled with beans, an adult can add a shot of hot glue to the lid for a more secure seal for the music making fun.