The New England Patriots visits to Miami have never been very pleasant including losing every game from 1970 to 1985. Here is a look back at some of these classic matchups in Miami.
5. December 15, 1974 Miami 34 New England 27: The reeling Patriots after a surprising 6-1 start was in the processs of finishing a disappointing 7-7 in 1974. New England jumped out to a 21-0 lead after the first quarter in this late season contest. Patriots guard John Hannah recovered a fumble in the end zone for one score and defensive back John Sanders returned a Earl Morrall interception 23 yards for another score. Patriots quarterback Jim Plunkett threw a 4 yard score to Mack Herron to complete the scoring. In the second quarter the Dolphins responded by outscoring the Patriots 17-3 to cut the deficit to 7. A 1 yard scoring plunge by Don Nottingham and a 37 yard Earl Morrall pass to Melvin Baker cut the deficit to 10. Miami kicker Garo Yepremian concluded the first half scoring with a 28 yard field goal. The score was tied at 24 after three quarters when Morrall went to Baker again this time for 46 yards to tie it. In the fourth quarter the Patriots regained the lead on a John Smith 34 yard field goal to retake the lead 27-24. Don Nottingham of Miami had other ideas as he scored on a 2 yard run to give Miami the lead. Miami kicker Garo Yepremian concluded the scoring with a 40 yard field goal.
4. Decenber 8, 1980 Miami 16 New England 13 OT: The most noteworthy event of this game on this Monday Night Football telecast was Howard Cosell announcing the death of John Lennon on air. In the fourth quarter Patriots quarterback Matt Cavanaugh hit Russ Francis with a 38 yard touchdown pass to give the Patriots a 13-6 lead. Miami quarterback David Woodley hit wide receiver Nat Moore with an 8 yard scoring strike to tie the game at 13. In overtime Miami kicker Uwe Von Schamann hit a 23 yard field to put a dagger in the Patriots playoff hopes.
3. December 16, 1985 Miami 30 New England 27: In a showdown for first place in the AFC East as the Patriots was in a tight battle with the Jets and Dolphins for first place in the divisioin. These two teams battled down to wire as New England tied the game late at 27 but Miami kicker Faud Reveiz hit a 47 yard field goal with 4:27 left for the winning points. A 1 yard scoring plunge by Mosi Tatupu of the Patriots and a 15 yard fumble return on the kickoff by Cedric Jones allowed the Patriots to overcome a 14 point deficit before Miami would win. However the Patriots would get revenge a month later by winning the AFC Championship in Miami 31-14.
2. September 9, 1994 Miami 39 New England 35: In a wild shootout between Dan Marino and Drew Bledsoe that went down to wire on opening day. Marino threw 5 touchdown passes and Bledsoe threw 4 touchdown passes himsef. However Marino would get the last laughas he hit Irving Fryar with a 35 yard score for the winning pots. It was Fryar’s third score of the game as he caught passes of 54, 50, and 35 yards for scores. Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for two scores and passes to Ray Crittended and Michael Timpson for his other scores.
1. December 20, 2004 Miami 29 New England 28: In a late season matchup between the Patriots and the Dolphins featuring one team near the bottom of the league and the other head towards their third Super Bowl Championship in four seasons. The Patriots leading 28-17 late in the fourth quarter in a game that looked like a sure win. Miami running back Sammy Morris scored on a 1 yard run with 2:07 left to cut the deficit to one. Miami missed the two point conversion and trailed by five. Brady on the next possession made a mistake while trying to avoid a sack by Jason Taylor instead threw an interception to Brendon Ayanbadejo who was dropped at the New England 21. On fourth down Miami quarterback A.J. Feeley hit Derrius Thompson 21 yard touchdown pass for the winning score. The Patriots had one last chance but Brady threw his fourth interception of the game to Miami safety Arturo Freeman to preserve the upset.
The wins are from Miami’s perspective with their battles with New England since 1966. No matter what the team’s record or the team’s record it’s always a battle.
wkipedia patriots 2004 season
wikipedia New England Patriots
wikipedia Miami Dolphins