Memorial Day is a special time to gather family and friends in honor of those who gave their lives in service to our great nation. It often manifests itself in a celebration of the outdoors, with picnics and BBQs, softball and croquet. When the dinner bell rings, everyone comes running, paper plates in tow, balancing burgers and brats and taking care not to overfill. You can be a big hit at this year’s celebration by serving these stackable, one-handed appetizers that let your guests manage their meal without making a mess.
Dilled baby corn
Marinated artichoke hearts
Mild red cherry peppers, stems removed
Assorted extra-large pitted olives
(Any additional “skewer-able” antipasto items of your choice)
Aged balsamic vinegar
1. Using a 6″ wooden skewer, thread the end of a piece of prosciutto onto the end of the skewer. (Leave the rest loose.) Next, add a baby corn. Bring the prosciutto around and thread onto the skewer, again leaving the rest loose. Continue with remaining ingredients, threading the prosciutto like a ribbon in and out of the other ingredients. If your piece of prosciutto runs out, start with a new piece.
2. Continue until skewer is full. Refrigerate. Right before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Caprese Salad on a Stick
Fresh basil, evenly divided into two groups
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh mozzarella rounds
1. Wash basil and blot with paper towel. Remove leaves from half and stack on top of one another. Roll the leaves tightly (lengthwise) and cut across the roll into very thin strips. Place the basil into a bowl. Add olive oil and blend or stir aggressively, crushing the basil well. Liberally season with garlic salt. This will create basil-infused olive oil for a dressing.
3. Using 6″ wooden skewers, thread on one tomato and one piece of mozzarella. Next, accordion thread one basil leaf from remaining basil. Add another tomato and then another piece of mozzarella.
4. Place skewers on a serving platter and drizzle with the basil-infused olive oil. Refrigerate until serving.
Red, White & Blue Angel Food Fruit Skewers
Angel food cake
1. Wash fruit and remove stems from strawberries. Pat dry.
2. Cut angel food cake into 1-1/2″ cubes.
3. Using 6″ wooden skewers, thread one strawberry, one cube of angel food cake and two blueberries. Repeat.
4. Serve with vanilla yogurt.