I’m not a world traveler-at least, not yet. I’ve made only a few “big” trips in my lifetime, the last being to Paris nearly a decade ago. Yet I have always had my own “bucket list” of far-off places I’d like to see. As a mom of two young boys, a return trip to Paris may be out of the question for a while, but stunning photos really move me to see more of my own country, let alone the rest of the world. With the help of Pinterest, I have collected hundreds of jaw-dropping images of destinations near and far. These are my favorite Pinterest boards that I follow which include or feature pictures from around the globe:
- The Weary Traveler. This is my favorite travel board. If you’re looking for the perfect place to go to gaze at awe-inspiring photos, this is it. This public board is huge, with over 58,000 pins. What I love is that, with few exceptions, most of the photos have a caption indicating where they were taken. By following this one board alone, you’ll be able to pin enough vacation destinations to last a dozen lifetimes.
- Best Travel Photos. There may not be 58,000 pins on this board, but they’re all high quality, amazing photos of spectacular destinations collected by one contributor (so there are no random pictures of fashion thrown in the mix, as is the case with The Weary Traveler). It’s hard to find one picture that’s nothing less than stunning. And again, most photos have the place name in the description.
- A Beautiful Spectacle. What I love about this board is that many of the pictures are of strikingly unique scenes. Not just a collection of gorgeous landscapes and beach paradises, A Beautiful Spectacle includes a lot of spectacular architecture and art. This board features both nature-made and man-made beauty from every corner of the globe.
- Photography (No Nudity). This community board is not travel-specific, so you will see photography featuring everything from Bavarian castles to famous actresses to cute chipmunks. But I like pinning all sorts of remarkable pictures to my various boards, so I enjoy this board very much. And as the title so directly points out, there’s no nudity! The scenic pictures here are always breathtaking.
- Our Amazing World. This open board is focused specifically on nature, so it mainly includes many gorgeous pictures of animals, landscapes, and flowers. Every photograph on this board makes you appreciate our incredible planet just a little more.
While the only things you see on Pinterest are photographs matched with short descriptions, remember that each pin is really a bookmark to some other site on the internet. While you often don’t learn a lot about the photograph from clicking on it to find its source, sometimes you’re rewarded by finding it featured in an article or personal blog. So, if you happen to discover a place that you really want to learn more about, try clicking on the source to see if there are more facts to acquire. Once you start pinning your own dream locations, it’s hard to stop. Nothing tells a story like a photograph, and, in my opinion, nothing beckons you to visit quite like one, either.