Growing up as a kid, my family had both dogs and cats. Recently I have owned cats and no dogs. My wife and I are thinking of getting a dog for our daughters. Every time my children see a puppy they ask if we can get one. We are thinking that if they learn to help take care of a dog they will learn how to be responsible. Since my girls are young my wife and I are doing some research about which dog breeds that are family friendly. While doing some research I stumbled upon a few breeds and some interesting facts about dogs. I thought I would share some information for those who are looking for a pooch for their family.
According to the website PetMD.com here are the top five dogs that are family friendly.
5. Vizsla: The Vizsla is a breed of dog that is very active. A Vizsla is great for families with older kids who are on the move and looking for an exercise partner in the park. Typically they will listen to your commands and will be there for the owner and family.
4. Irish Setter: Similar to the Vizsla, an Irish Setter loves to be playful and run around. The Setter is great with kids big or small and can be easily trained.
3. The Poodle: A poodle is known for its intelligence as well as being playful. Poodles come in many sizes so you have a large variety to choose from if you are looking for this type of breed of dog. They are great at learning tricks that will be a huge plus for a family looking to have fun with their dog.
2. Labrador Retriever: This breed of dog is not just for hunters. The Labrador Retriever is energetic and loves to play. This Retriever will also act as a strong protector for your family. My sister has had two Labs and I saw how both dogs would take care of my sister’s family.
1. The Golden Retriever: One of the most favorite and well know breeds the Golden Retriever is a fan to many owners with a family. I like the fact that these dogs are very patient with kids. Having two girls I think a Golden Retriever would be a great addition to our home. Growing up one my best friends from high school owned a Golden Retriever and I never saw the dog bite or snap at anyone.
In addition to this list I saw that Purina Dog Chow recently did a study that they put on their Facebook page about how dogs are a great addition to the family. Some of their findings were eye opening for me since I am looking to get a dog for the family. According to their recent study eight out of ten people agree that dogs connect people and help you cope through difficult times. As a parent I liked the fact their research found kids with dogs are 20% more likely to play outside and get exercise. As a parent you want the best for your kids and after a few months of research I think a dog will be a great addition to our family.