I am a germ freak. The kind of freak who doesn’t touch anything at public restrooms. My freakyness has gotten worse since I observed some questionable behaviors and consequences. Some of which include but are not limited to:
- Custodians not wearing gloves.
- Custodians touching everything with dirty gloves.
- Same brush used to clean toilets and sinks (Really!).
- Little or no use of disinfectant.
- Questionable ways to dispose of human waste (Sorry).
- A roach going inside a toilet paper dispenser.
- Smelly garbage not being picked up, Bugs in trash can.
- Filthy custodian closets.
- Vents so dirty you can hardly breath.
- Dirty, stained toilet paper.
My goal is not to scare or gross you or to to get you to assault your custodian. You need to know how filthy public restrooms are, the list above is evidence. I wonder how many people get sick at these waste pools? I know I have been there and so have you (even if you don’t think you have).
How to avoid getting sick if you must attend a germ party:
- Do not sit on the toilet unless you have toilet seat covers and a seat belt.
- Do not touch anything, use napkin or toilet paper to flush the toilet, open doors etc.
- Do not set bags, books, coats on the floor, counter, or hang on door.
- Get in and out. Do not socialize in here (Even if you are really bored at work).
- Bring your own toilet paper (Care for your privates).
- Wear shoes. Don’t laugh, I have seen barefoot people at public restrooms.
- Avoid bar soap.
- Get away from public showers.
- Complain if it’s dirty (Say: I don’t want to bring germs back home to my family)
- Always ask yourself How many hands have been here? and What would Jesus do?
Finally, I have realized that custodians must care about their customers in order to do a good job.
Guys like this one don’t.
“The Lazy Custodian”
The lazy custodian
Sits down on a chair,
After ten minutes working
He is up for a break.
Two naps in the closet,
One nap in his truck,
Ten cigarette breaks,
Three hours of lunch.
There’s mice in the kitchen,
On his shoe, there’s mold.
A roach infestation,
He hasn’t yet caught.
He faints at the thought
Of sweeping the stairs,
And he hasn’t dusted
For three years straight.
He thinks he is the best
Custodian he knows.
That’s why in his closet,
Filth covers the floor.
He jumps from the chair,
His boss woke him up.
I swear that I am sick!
You are fired, go home!
Please don’t keep this information to yourself, share with friends and family so they can stay healthy too.