As we get older, our skin heals slowly and can be especially vulnerable to sun damage, breakouts, and pigmentation problems. Women in their 50s need to be especially careful about protecting their skin from the elements and also take extra steps to ensure their skin stays hydrated and balanced. Using standard drugstore skincare products usually isn’t enough to protect weak or fragile skin, or to keep skin looking youthful and resilient. Take control of your skin now so you can keep it looking firm, radiant, and smooth for years to come! Here are some of the most effective ways to protect your skin in your 50s, and beyond:
1. Use the right daytime moisturizer. Hydrated skin will look and feel more youthful, so don’t skimp on moisturizer! You’ll need to be very diligent about using a high-quality moisturizer each and every morning. Apply moisturizer right after cleansing and toning so the product can sink deep into your pores.
2. Load up on sunscreen-infused products. Sunscreen will help to ward off the effects of sun damage and may even prevent sun spots, freckles, and pigmented patches. I like to use a sunscreen-infused primer underneath makeup and also stick with makeup that has at least SPF 15 for extra protection. Seek out these products so you don’t have to wear a thick layer of sunscreen each day; you can create a more flawless finish with your makeup.
3. Wear hydrating makeup. While mineral makeup and other lightweight foundations can be convenient and provide you with the type of coverage you want, they won’t do much to improve the quality of your skin. Stick with liquid makeup that contains hydrating ingredients to keep your skin looking smooth, plump, and youthful. You’ll find that moisturizing formulas can even hide fine lines and wrinkles so it’s easier to create that smooth finish you want.
4. Be picky about your face wash. Use an anti-aging face wash day and night to target problem areas and get more out of each cleanse. Face wash that contains vitamins and anti-aging ingredients such as glycolic acid work to speed up the cell turnover process and keep your skin looking smooth. If you’re not sure what type of face wash to start with, set up a consultation with a dermatologist or ask for a recommendation from your esthetician next time you go to the day spa for a facial treatment.
5. Invest in a high-quality night cream. Your skin repairs itself while you sleep so using the right moisturizer can really give your skin some extra support. Invest in a high-quality anti-aging night cream specifically designed for your skin type. Look for products that contain Retin-A, Vitamin E, and emollients to really nourish and protect your skin.
Redbook Magazine – A Celebrity Makeup Artist’s Tips for Perfect Skin
Prevention.com – Skin Cancer and Sun Safety Tips
Good Housekeeping – How to Look Younger Tips – Fight Aging