COMMENTARY | Top Rank Promotions CEO, Bob Arum, recently took a shot at Miguel Cotto, referring to the Puerto Rican’s decision to take on Austin Trout as “stupid.”
Cotto didn’t exactly appreciate Arum’s comments, and he fired back during a conversation with Marcos Meijas.
“He is only responsible for representing his company,” Cotto said, per Boxingscene.com. “I thank him for everything that he did for my career, but Bob Arum represents nothing more in my life.”
Arum isn’t exactly in a position to talk about stupid decisions, considering the fact he elected to put Manny Pacquiao inside the ring with Juan Manuel Marquez for the fourth time on Dec. 8, even though the Filipino congressman had the option of avenging his controversial split-decision loss to Timothy Bradley.
Arum’s poor decision led to Pacquiao losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his professional career (he was knocked out during the sixth round), and it’s diminished “Pac Man’s” negotiating power for future bouts, especially a super-fight against Floyd Mayweather.
Arum also put Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in a bout he clearly wasn’t ready for against Sergio Martinez earlier in the year, so it’s safe to say his decision making this year has been questionable.
Cotto and his handlers made it clear they have no time for Arum’s antics, and they’re looking forward to future possibilities.
“[Arum] is frustrated because Miguel – just like Oscar de la Hoya who was signed with him and just like Floyd Mayweather who was signed with him, made a decision to command his own career, to guide it and to promote his own events without depending on a promoter,” Cotto’s legal advisor, Gabriel Peñagarícano, added. “It hurts [Arum] that Miguel was this successful on his own. The event [with Trout] was successful in every way.”
Cotto’s choice to take on Trout was definitely a risky decision, but “Junito” deserves praise — not ridicule — for his decision. In a position where most boxers would have taken the easy road, Cotto took on the most dangerous opponent available.
Fight and fighter information from BoxRec.com
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:
Anderson Silva Says He’ll Fight Jon Jones for 50 Percent of the UFC
Canelo Says He’s Close to Finalizing a May 4 Bout Against Floyd Mayweather
Pacquiao Faithful Go Through Three Stages of Grief
Floyd Mayweather Talks About Manny Pacquiao’s Brutal KO Loss to Marquez
Filipino Lawmakers Scold Justin Bieber for Taking Shots at Pacquiao