If you have a square-shaped face, finding a way to soften your look might be keeping you up at night. The truth is, however, that no face shape dooms you to suffer its shortcomings anymore. Not when we can do so much with hair to offset, highlight, and flatter your overall face shape. Embrace your natural look and love your square face with these great haircuts and styles to help you look your best.
Is Your Face Square?
First, you need to know what you’re working with. To be sure you have a square-shaped face, take a look in the mirror. Use a tube of lipstick to outline the shape of your face on your reflection in the mirror. If the width of your forehead, cheekbones, and jaw are all equal, your face is square. You may also have sharp, angular features, especially your jawline. Luckily, a square-shaped face is sometimes one of the easiest to work with!
If you’re looking for ways to flatter your square face, pick up any magazine and look for some top celebs who share your shape. According to About Beauty, some of the most famous faces are square shapes! Check out the styles sported by actresses like Keira Knightley, Angelina Jolie, Isabella Rosselini, Rosario Dawson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Demi Moore, and Helena Christensen to get some inspiration.
Best Looks for Square Faces
When you’re choosing that next haircut, you’ll want something that plays down your strong and angular jawline. Texture can be your best friend! Avoid any one-length haircuts or blunt bangs on a square face, since these can add width in the wrong places!
Choose one of these styles instead:
- Long and loose waves flatter a square face like no other look. Wearing your hair a little longer, just below the shoulders, softens your features and jawline easily.
- Soft, layered bobs work if you have short hair and a square face. Avoid a blunt cut, which can make you look boxy.
- Side-swept bangs are a feminine and flattering way to style your hair. Keep them just below the brow length and brushed to the side to lessen the squareness of your face.
- Pixie cuts are a cute way to add softness as well, if you want to go that short!
Play around with a few different styles until you find the one you like the best! Your square-shaped face will be flattered in no time.
- About.com Beauty. Are you round, square, long, heart, or oval?
- She Knows: Beauty & Style. Hairstyles for square faces.
- Most flattering haircuts for an oval face
- How to shop for heat-protection hair care products
- Most flattering haircuts for a round face