Terry was a single minister searching for a wife. Divorced twice, he was unlucky in love. So, what did he decide to do? This god-fearing man began the process of purchasing a mail-order bride.
When he confessed his plan to me, I was shocked. Our city was full of smart, beautiful, available women. After more probing, Terry confessed to purposely pursuing a Filipino. He found her at an online dating site referred to him by his barber. This clergyman wanted to stray away from his U.S. born sisters and connect with their Asian counterparts overseas. Why? He held several stereotypes about this group, a belief system prevalent amongst American men.
Myths American men still have about Asian women:
- Asian women are submissive. They are male-centric and understand better than females of European or African descent how to treat the opposite sex. This assumption is often false hurting Asian women who want equal power in relationships. (See: The Submissive Asian Stereotype) Dating is challenging, especially on U.S. soil because of the backward views males have of them.
- Asian women aren’t materialistic. They do not care about designer clothes or flashy cars. Because of their spirituality or poor backgrounds, they cherish the basics. This idea is obviously false. Foreigners come to America to enjoy a better life — FULL of stuff. Also, recent reports about places such as Singapore show materialism to be rampant. (See: Materialism in Singapore)
- Asian women don’t gain weight. Because of their diet, they never pack on the pounds. These females only crave fruits, vegetables and rice – the kind of delicacies found in a rural environment. Obesity studies completed by medical researchers such as The Garvan Institute prove that weight can be an issue amongst Asian women. (See: Raising the Question of Obesity in Asia)
- Asian women are excellent cooks. At an early age, Indian, Chinese, Filipino, and Japanese girls learn how to cook. For this reason, by adulthood, they are able to create delicious, healthy meals. As in America, this way of living ended decades ago. As females entered the workplace, even in Asian countries, they left the kitchen. For this reason, eating out is very popular as documented by this Indian writer. (See: More People Want to Eat Out)
- Asian women aren’t picky. They are not drawn to youth or repelled by large bellies. Manners do not matter, nor race. Asian women accept their significant others as-is. In the article Asian Dating Tips, the details of what these females desire show they definitely have standards.
Back to Terry. Did he run off into the sunset with his Filipino fantasy? The answer is no. After being drained of hundreds of dollars, he realized their relationship was a sham. The price kept going up to bring her to the U.S. Eventually; he gave up and wed a local woman.
We never talk anymore about his plan to marry a mail-order bride. As a result, I secretly wonder if he learned his lesson. Did his experience change his mind or does he continue to have myths about Asian women that perpetuate more evil than good?
- Why Friends With Benefits Don’t Work
- 5 Signs You’re In Love with a Gay Man
- Topics to Avoid Talking about on a First Date