These old-fashioned ornaments will beautifully enhance the look of your tree, wreaths and garlands. Whether you need holiday decorations or just a pretty sachet, these ornaments can be created to compliment any holiday or occasion. Decorate heart shaped ornaments with satin, and you’ll have beautiful and affordable favors that would enhance your wedding tables. A great thing about these ornaments is there is no sewing involved. If you can operate a glue gun, you can create your own scented fabric ornaments. This is a fun holiday craft project to do with your kids.
Scented Fabric Ornaments
- Poster board
- Yards of gathered lace
- Large holiday cookie cutters
- Holiday ribbon and embellishments
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Holiday fabrics
- Cinnamon potpourri
- Gold string
- Tape measure
- Pillow stuffing
- The cookie cutters will be the templates for your ornaments. Trace two pieces from your first cookie cutter shape on your poster board. Trace two pieces on your fabric, then add a 1/4 inch border around each shape and piece. Cut the pieces out from both your poster board and fabric.
- Place your fabric piece right side facing down on a flat work surface. Place one of your poster board pieces centered on top of your fabric.
- Glue your fabric to your poster board piece. Snip small slits around your extra 1/4 inch border to help it perfectly fit around your cardboard piece.
- Glue a piece of gold string in the form of a loop on the top, center of the cardboard side of this piece. This will be the back of your ornament.
- With the paper side of the back of the ornament facing you, glue gathered lace around the entire edge of your shape.
- Place your other paper shape on a flat working surface. Put your fabric cutout wrong side down on top of your paper shape.
- Glue your fabric piece to this paper piece leaving an approximate two inch opening.
- Stuff the front of your ornament with pillow stuffing and a couple of teaspoons of potpourri. Once it is completely full, glue the opening shut. This will be the front of your ornament.
- Decorate the front of your ornament with ribbons, berries or a string of sequins.
- Glue the top and bottom of your ornament together.
Make your presents extra special this holiday season by attaching a pretty ornament on top of each gift. Use a glitter pen to personalize the ornaments with either the first or last name of the recipient to make them extra special. Enjoy all the ways these homemade ornaments can enhance your holiday decor on both the inside and outside of your home.
More from Yahoo!Voices: