Prom is the most anticipated night of high school. I was lucky enough to attend prom during my junior and senior years. Both years were completely different. I’ve learned tips and tricks from both years and as a writer, it’s my duty to pass on the do’s and don’ts of going to prom.
- Didn’t get asked to the prom? Ask a friend. You will have just as much fun (if not more) going to prom with a friend than trying to find a boyfriend at the last minute.
- Start with a budget and stick to it. If you’re on a limited budget, remember elegance is simple.
- Avoid tanning beds. They’re so not worth it. Try a self-tanning lotion or a spray tan instead. Start slow a week or two before prom. That way, if you streak or miss a spot, you have time to even out the color.
- Talk to your date about his plans and expectations.
- Sex is not a requirement for prom.
- Keep your makeup simple. You don’t need to cover up your already-beautiful face with caked-on makeup.
- Consider the length of your dress with your heel size. You will probably end up kicking off your shoes to dance and you don’t want to trip over your dress.
- Treat your date like a queen and pay a lot of attention to her.
- Compliment her…. a lot.
- When she asks you the evening’s plans and your expectations, be upfront and honest with her.
- Ask your date what kind of outfit she would like you to wear. Tux? Tails? Black? White? Let’s face it, she’s the boss….
- Only ask her what color she is wearing. Get a wrist corsage with a matching color.
For both girls and guys
I’m not here to lecture and I’m sure you’ve heard it. Hearing it a million more times can only make it stick a little more.
- Tell your parents all your plans. It’s not that your parents don’t trust you, it’s for safety. Give them several other phone numbers (like your friends’ parents’) in case you can’t be reached. You shouldn’t have trouble handing over the numbers if your plans are innocent.
- Answer every call and/or text from your parents. If you’re having a good time and making good choices, then you shouldn’t have any trouble telling them so at that moment.
- Don’t drink alcohol or do drugs. Come on, one night of what you think is fun can ruin your future, any plans for college or even land you in jail. All it takes is one phone call from an annoyed neighbor or hotel guest. Even if you’re not drinking or doing drugs, being at a party where there is drugs or alcohol can still get you arrested.
Prom is that one night where you get dressed up all fancy and have a grown-up kind of night. So act like a responsible grown up, have a great time and keep things simple. It will turn out to be the most memorable night of your life!
My own experience
More articles from this contributor:
Tanning Beds Increase Risk of Melanoma
Our Kids Will Do it Differently
The Best Vehicle I Ever Owned