While seasonal decorating seems to get the most attention during the fall, summer provides the perfect opportunity to lighten the look and the atmosphere in your home. For a summer theme, think light and open, as summer decorating should look uncluttered and natural. Think of ways to bring the outdoors into your home. You can also expand your living space by bringing the indoors outside.
Here are some ways to lighten your décor:
- Window Treatments- Replace dark, heavy drapes with lighter curtain panels or sheers. Bamboo shades are a perfect summer accessory, as they provide a light, natural look for windows while adding interest with great natural textures.
- Slipcovers- Slipcovers are a great way to completely change the look of your furniture, while also providing a layer of protection. Choose a light beige, white, cream or floral print for summer. Cover your sofas, love seats, overstuffed chairs and even dining room chairs in a light fabric that will also protect upholstery from sweat, sun block lotions and tanning oils.
- Duvet covers- Use a light colored or floral duvet cover for a light, summery look in your bedroom. You may opt to replace your comforter with a lightweight summer quilt or bedspread.
- Pillows- Replace your regular decorative throw pillows with light-colored, stripped or floral pillows. You could also use pillow covers to change the look of the pillows you already have.
- Tables- Cover your dining room table with a white or ivory lace tablecloth. Use small lace table toppers on end tables.
Make your own summer table centerpieces.
Find vases of different sizes, styles and colors and fill them with fresh flowers as often as you are inspired to buy them.
Fill a large glass vase with different types of citrus fruit, such as lemons, oranges and limes. Mix the fruit for a colorful display or use just one kind for a strong accent color of yellow, orange or green.
Use a glass bowl or shallow tray for an ocean themed display. Partially fill the container with sand and then add different types of sea shells. Enhance the display with ocean scented candles or candles with embedded seashells.
Floating candles and flower blossoms suspended in a decorative glass bowl make an elegant evening table centerpiece.
Add a tropical or beach feel to your home.
Summer is the perfect season for tropical decor. Rattan and wicker furniture and decor provide a tropical look. Items made from bamboo or materials such as abaca or jute add natural yet exotic textures.
Add greenery with tropical plants like palms, umbrella plants, rubber plants and banana trees. Display ocean themed decor embellished with coral, seashells or driftwood.
Carry your summer decorating theme over the threshold.
Continue your light and natural summer decorating theme out on to your patio, balcony, porch, deck or backyard.
Create a conversation area with chairs, lounges and tables. Enhance your outdoor furniture with comfortable cushions in light, stripped patterns or floral prints. Add a few decorative pillows in the same prints and patterns that you’re using on your indoor pillows for a cohesive design. Anchor the seating arrangement within an area rug. Add decorative accents such as potted plants, flowers and a water fountain.
Enhance the ambiance of your outdoor living space with accent lighting such as candle lanterns or tiki torches. String lights and paper lanterns make festive outdoor lighting for your patio.
Have fun with a casual summer decorating theme. Keep the look comfortable, warm and inviting, just like it feels when you walk outside on a beautiful summer day.