Compilation Cds don’t really seem so relevant to the world of music anymore, when a person can just download and create their own compilations. However, “Now That’s What I Call Music 42” was released in May of 2012 and here are the five best songs, in my opinion, to be found on it.
5. “Sorry For Party Rocking” – LMFAO: As I write this I think the party for LMFAO and their first album is slowly dying away and becoming “old.” However, when these guys busted on to the music scene with dance hip-hop/pop hits like this one one could not help, but want to dance along
4. “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” – Kelly Clarkson: The “American Idol” judges say “You could sing the phone book,” to a lot of their contestants. Kelly Clarkson was the first winner of said show and that saying applies to her voice quite well as I think she brings character to a lot of otherwise lame pop songs. This motivational anthem would have been dead to me being belted out by many other pop artists, but Kelly powers it well with that cute, power rasp of her
3. “Good Feeling” – Flo Rida: Sampling at its best, this song is very commercial and horribly catchy and rather than hate it, its upbeat energy and rap vocals make it worthy of actually listening to.
2. “Free” – Graffit6: I had never heard of this song before checking out “Now That’s What I Call Music 42.” I watched the music video and the singer looks like an annoying boy band reject and yet the song itself is an oldies, 70s kind of Motown love song mixed with more modern pop vibes that is a winner. This track is considered a bonus track on the album.
1. “Somebody That I Used To Know” – Gotye with Kimbra: Before radio killed this song by playing it every few minutes, there was a lot of emotion and artistry in the song to connect with. The song still has that and is still fairly awesome, but I personally am going to have to rediscover it in a few years. However, it is worthy of checking out in a few years while most of the other songs on the album are not.
Other songs featured on the album Now That’s What I Call Music 42 are:
“Brokenhearted” – Karmin, “What Makes You Beautiful” – One Direction, “Turn Me On” – David Guetta, “Feel So Close” – Calvin Harris, “Turn Up The Music” – Chris Brown, “We Run The Night” – Havana Brown, “Give Me All Your Luvin'” – Madonna, “Get Yourself Back Home” – Gym Class Heroes, “It Will Rain” – Bruno Mars, “Drive By” – Train, “Springsteen” – Eric Church, and “Ours” – Taylor Swift. Bonus tracks include: “All The Right Places” – Zack Heckendorf, “Run Dat Back” – Jadagrace, and “Earthquake” – Labrinth.