Are skinny jeans really for everyone? One thing is for sure: this trend is back from the 80s with a vengeance and definitely here to stay. Men and women alike are opting into this fashion trend, making skinny jeans a popular option in stores everywhere. With a name like “skinny” jeans, though, many people have to ask whether they can pull it off for themselves. Shop the right type of skinny jeans for your body type and then follow some basic steps to make sure you’ve got the “skinny” look down!
Start With Your Body Type
Finding the right pair of skinny jeans for you starts with knowing what kind of body type you’re working with. Your body type can change throughout the years, so make sure you’re working with the way your body really is, not the way it used to be in high school.
Measure your body around your bust line, the smallest part of your waist, and the widest part around your hip bones. With these listed measurements, you can determine your body type:
- If your bust measurement is the biggest and the numbers get smaller as you move down, you’re a cone shape.
- If your bust is smallest and your hips are widest, you have a pear shape.
- If your busty and hips are almost the same and your middle is smaller, you’re an hourglass.
- If your bust, middle, and hips measure similarly, you have what’s called a “ruler” build.
Skinny Jeans & Your Body
Now that you know what you’re working with, don’t think your body type means you can’t wear skinny jeans. There are ways for women of all shapes to wear skinny jeans, so don’t fret! In fact, a lot of your success with wearing skinny jeans comes down to your shoes or your choice of top. Pay attention to what you wear along with those jeans and you’ll be able to pull off this trend.
For a cone shape, avoid pairing your skinny jeans with pointy-toed shoes. Skinny jeans should accentuate your curves, but pointy shoes will accidentally throw off your proportions. Pear-shaped women have the best luck with darker wash skinny jeans and a flowing, loose top to balance out their upper and lower halves.
These style tips can help any woman pull off skinny jeans:
- Work with your figure, not against it!
- Accentuate your backside with embellished pockets or designs.
- Use skinny jeans to help with height. If you have long legs, they’ll look even longer so use flats to keep from looking like a giraffe. Conversely, petite girls can add height with skinny jeans that reach the ankle (any longer and they’ll bunch, making you look shorter).
- Create new and different looks with different kinds of shoes. Boots, heels, flats, and even sneakers look great with skinny jeans.
Skinny Jeans for Plus-Size Girls
If you’re full-figured and have either an hourglass or ruler shape, that doesn’t mean you have to skip the skinnies. Choose dark washes for your skinny jeans and don’t pair them with a tight-fitting top. Make sure your shirt hits a few inches below your hips but rests above your butt to give you the best shape. There are high-waist skinny jeans out there too, so if low-rises are a problem for your figure, don’t worry. You may have to shop a little harder to find the right pair, but they’re out there!
3 Fat Chicks on a Diet. How to Find Denim Skinny Jeans for Your Body Type.
wikiHow. How to Look Great in Skinny Jeans.
- Shopping for a Perfect Fit in Plus-Size Jeans
- How to transition your style from summer to fall
- Function and fashion: Shopping guide for women’s boots