Cruise vacations are quite possibly my favorite kind. From gourmet meals to majestic ports of call, a cruise vacation offers just about everything in one place. And while the on-ship activities and port of call excursions are central to having a good time, so is knowing what to pack. Here are must-have items for a 10-day cruise vacation.
Whether you plan to hang out by the pool or partake in indoor trivia and games during days at sea, you’ll want to be sure to be prepared for all possibilities.
- Swim suits (multiple)
- Casual clothing (shorts, t-shirts, comfortable pants, sun dresses)
- Sweater or sweatshirt for chilly/windy weather and air-conditioned rooms indoors
- Workout gear for onboard sporting and exercise activities
- Swimwear, shorts, t-shirts, sunscreen, hats, and comfortable shoes for children
Evenings on cruise vacations are a time to enjoy good food and fun entertainment. Be sure to pack enough dinner wear for 8 nights and after-dinner wear for 10. Taking items you can wear multiple times with different accessories helps save room in your suitcase.
- Business casual for dinner in the dining room (cocktail dresses, dress slacks, shirt and tie)
- Dress shoes that can be paired with multiple outfits
- After-dinner wear (dressy blouses/slacks, collared shirt) for evening entertainment (bars, casino, evening walks on deck) for those who are uncomfortable all evening in dinner wear
- Dresses/slacks and collared shirt for children
You can probably expect two formal dinners on a 10-day cruise, at least one of which will likely be a captain’s ball offering introductions to the crew and pre-dinner drinks and appetizers. While many cruise ships offer tuxedo rentals for gentlemen, you may want to pack your own formal items.
- Suit and tie for gentlemen
- Evening gown, dress shoes, and accessories for ladies (including a shawl or jacket for air-conditioned rooms)
- Dresses/slacks and shirt/tie for children
On Shore Outfits
While the ports of call you will visit on a cruise are different, there are some basic items you should take with you upon leaving the ship for a day.
- Comfortable, protective clothing (shorts, t-shirt, sun dress)
- Tennis shoes or other comfortable shoes for walking
- Place to safely hold money, ID, and key card for cruise ship re-entry
- Light sweater/sweatshirt for chilly/windy weather
- Shorts, t-shirts, sundresses, sunscreen, hats, comfortable shoes, lightweight sweaters/sweatshirts for children
A cruise vacation can be an amazing trip, from the onboard entertainment and dining to the port of call excursions. It’s no wonder it is the vacation of choice for my husband and me. Taking care to pack everything you may need can help ensure you have the vacation of a lifetime. Be sure to save space in your suitcase for purchases on board or on shore!