So, you’re headed to Key West, are you?
As you get wrapped up in the anticipation of spending time in one of the most relaxing, laid back destinations in the western hemisphere, try not to neglect the minute amount of responsibility required for your trip; particularly packing right.
Time and time again, guests arrive on the island with a suitcase full of items they do not need and will never use, all while having to purchase items to make their trip more comfortable. Avoid this pitfall by considering some of these packing suggestions – leaving more precious time for you to decide what to do in Key West.
Key West is notoriously a walking town. Whether your resort or hotel is located off Duval Street, or on the other side of the island, there are a lot of amenities within walking distance of one another. As such, you do not want to use your stay at Key West as an excuse to try out those wooden clogs your Grandma brought back from Amsterdam. Instead, go with comfort. Below are some suggestions to consider when packing your footwear for Key West.
- Sandals – Sandals are one of the most preferred forms of footwear for both locals and visitors. With the “get-up-n-go” kind of lifestyle that is prevalent on the island, sandals are not only convenient, but a comfortable option.
- Tennis Shoes – Nothing beats a comfortable pair of tennis shoes. Pack your favorite pair to ensure your feet have flexible, reliable reinforcement as you walk the streets of Key West.
When people think Key West, they think beaches, parties and fun in the sun. For the most part, this is an accurate assumption. As such, avoid packing an extensive array of heavy polo-shirts and 3-piece suits(although, it might be a good idea to pack at least one instance of formal wear if you decide to pop into a 5-star restaurant on a whim).
Here are the essentials of any Key West wardrobe that will assist in making your tropical excursion a comfortable adventure.
- Shorts – With all of the walking combined with the typical warm weather (during the Summer months), pants are out. Ensure most of your packed leg wear consists of shorts, or a variation.
- Tees – The perfect supplement to a comfortable pair of shorts.
- Sun Dresses – A an easy way to blend the line between casual and formal for those snooty events. (Recommended for the girls of course, unless the guys find a unique party to attend).
- Light Jacket – The breezes can get bitter while on a boat or at the beach during nightfall.
The Commonly Forgotten Few
While clothing is primarily the majority of your packing, there are a few staples that people commonly neglect as they prepare for their trip. As you consider what to do in Key West, ensure you have the supplemental accessories to coincide with your planned activities.
Here are some recommended items that are a versatile option for an variety of instances:
- Sunglasses – Ever try to enjoy a day on the beach without sunglasses? Don’t start during your visit to sunny Key West.
- Sunscreen – Don’t let that mean ole’ sunburn sneak up on you – lather up your defenses prior to falling asleep on the beach or by the pool.
- Aspirin – A welcomed companion after a night of hard drinking, or while fighting a hefty case of sea sickness.
As you consider your options for what to do in Key West or what to pack for your Key West vacation, be sure to plan accordingly. The suggestions above should just about cover your needs, save a few variables thrown into the mix, of course.