I’ve always been the type of person who is interested in tidbits of information. Whether that info involves something new in the world of beauty, or an unusual way to use an ordinary product, I’m always intrigued. And, not only am I excited about it but I love to share that information with other people – whether they ask for it or not. Even though most of the information I learn about, and repeat, might be simplistic knowledge, or little-known facts, on occasion, I hear and repeat something very worthwhile. That happened to me recently and I feel like it’s something the whole world should know. Without the knowledge, your 9-volt battery could catch your house on fire!
Most of us have had some level of study as to fire safety. Whether we attended a required class at school, or we sought a class for even more knowledge – beyond school – many of us feel certain that we understand much to do about fires. Maybe everyone can’t spout statistics, like 55% of smoke alarms fail to go off during a fire, or that most fire deaths are caused by asphyxiation, rather than flames, many of us feel like we know what to do in case of a fire – and what not to do.
I recently attended a 2-hour seminar about fires and I, like many people, felt as though I was already informed. It was an invitation from a relative, and I felt like I couldn’t turn him down, so I went. And am I glad I did! Sure, the guy talked about smoke alarms, and the most common causes of fire, and about having a meeting place for everyone, as they escaped. But when he started talking about a mere 9-volt battery causing a house fire, I was intrigued.
To demonstrate, he held the battery in one hand, and a piece of steel wool in the other. He touched the steel wool to the posts of the battery and, pow, instant fire! I was captivated and disturbed! And, it’s not just 9-volt batteries that are capable of starting a house fire. Most any battery with a nodule on top can start a fire. It’s not just steel wool that can catch on fire; if a spark happens, anything nearby, like a napkin, a cloth, or a piece of paper, can ignite.
In short, store 9-volt batteries with a piece of tape over the posts. Store all batteries in a metal container – with lid – and don’t mix in other things. Or, store them in the original packaging, with the plastic piece that separates each battery. Clean out your junk drawers and make sure there are no batteries mixed in with the other stuff. A battery and a piece of foil, or a battery and a canning jar lid, is all it takes to set off a spark, and to set your house on fire.
Please inform kids, the elderly, and everyone else you know about storing batteries. You’d be surprised at how many people – like I was – are totally unaware of the dangers of a 9-volt or other battery fire. The information you pass along could save someone’s life!